The UL Certified PV Systems Installer program assesses the competence of personnel to safely install PV systems in compliance with national and local code requirements. To receive the PV System Installer Certification, an individual must meet minimum eligibility requirements and successfully pass an online, proctored examination. The exam is intended to measure the necessary competencies for a qualified electrical professional with OSHA 10-hour safety training for construction and several years of hands-on experience in the field. Hands-on experience or equivalent knowledge includes installing, building, repairing, troubleshooting, diagnosing, verifying and\or performing tasks involved in electrical work for either residential or commercial applications.
The PV System Installer Certification exam is an open book three-hour online proctored examination based on the 2014 NEC and consisting of 100 questions. Individuals must score 80% or higher to pass the exam. The examination may be scheduled by contacting UL Knowledge Solutions at email@example.com or by calling 888-503-5536.
To Register for the Exam:
Register and pay examination fees through this site. Create a new user account (if needed), add to cart, and process your payment. Payment of exam fees are by credit card only. Fees are $300 for the exam plus $25 application process.
- Download and complete the exam application form. Send completed exam application to ulknowledgeSolutions@ul.com or by mail to the address indicated on the application. Your eligibility to sit for the exam will be reviewed. If you do not qualify for the exam, you will be refunded $300 (the $25 application fee is non-refundable).
- After your examination application has been processed, you will be notified by email of your eligibility to take the examination.
- If approved to take the exam, follow the guidance in the approval notice and contact our test provider to schedule a date and location for the examination. If not eligible, your exam fees of $300 will be refunded.
- After completing the examination, you will receive your exam results, followed up (for successful results) by issuance of Certification documents and instructions for maintaining certification. Retesting options are available for any failures.
Click here to download the application form.
Click here to download the detailed study guide for the exam.
- Be a qualified electrician based on local state guidelines
- Complete the OSHA 10-hour construction training
The examination is an open book, 3 hour, online proctored assessment. You may bring the following materials for reference during the exam:
- One printed copy of the 2014 National Electrical Code
- Certification is valid for three years
- Re-certification is required after three year expiration
- Three (3) continuing education credits or equivalent of 30 professional development hours are required for re-certification (credits should be related to topics of NEC or PV technology)
|Click here for terms and conditions...
UL Knowledge Services workshops are designed for and intended to serve individuals using and relying upon UL services. UL Knowledge Services reserves the right to limit workshop attendance strictly to the foregoing. In addition, UL Knowledge Services reserves the right to change, reschedule or cancel any workshop at any time. UL shall not be responsible for any consequential or other losses resulting from the cancellation or postponement of this workshop such as airline and other travel/personal expenses.
UL Knowledge Services accepts the following forms of payment for registration: Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Invoice/PO. Please note that Invoice/PO is not accepted for online courses.