Conditions of Acceptability
The UL Knowledge Service Conditions of Acceptability (COA) service allows manufacturers to request conditions of acceptability for Recognized Components.
Why would I benefit from this service?
During the design phase of a new or alternate construction, manufacturers need to understand the limits of a component's acceptability as determined by UL under the Recognized Component program. Understanding the limitations through Conditions of Acceptability, allows the OEM to make decisions regarding component suitability and substitutability with or without further end product testing. Thus the OEM can save time and money by selecting the component with the proper 'pretesting' by UL under the Recognized Component program.
What information do I need to provide to UL?
Manufacturers who request the Conditions of Acceptability service should provide UL with the following information for each component:
- UL applicant name of the component manufacturer
- Model number of the component
- Description of the component (i.e. switch, power supply, wiring board, etc.)
- UL file # (if available)
What information will UL provide in return?
Once a manufacturer has submitted their request for component(s) COA, UL staff will review each component and within five (5) business days, the manufacturer will receive a Letter Report in PDF format via email with the following information:
- UL ratings for each component
- Conditions of acceptability for each component
Pricing and registration information
UL’s Conditions of Acceptability pricing is as follows:
- $300 USD for the first five (5) components (minimum charge)
- $100 USD for each additional component up to a maximum of ten (10) components
- Eleven (11) or more components - please call UL Knowledge Services for a quote
To submit your components for Conditions of Acceptability review please call UL Knowledge Services at 1-888-503-5536 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Conditions of Acceptability report does not guarantee a UL Product Listing or UL Component Recognition
- The Conditions of Acceptability report provides the current conditions listed for each component file as of the date stated on the report. Conditions of Acceptability are subject to change at any time and will be re-confirmed during the UL product evaluation accordingly