This five-day course provides a one week intensive hands-on exposure to the process of installing a photovoltaic system. With the increasing focus on ways to leverage renewable energy resources, predictions are favorable for the increased use of PV systems in both residential and commercial dwellings.
The PV System Installation course provides critical knowledge of solar energy and systems applied to PV installations. It also focuses on gaining a full understanding of how to organize a successful PV installation project including the review of project documents, site plans, electrical drawings, job specifications, manufacturer installation instructions, and pertinent documentation from the local authority having jurisdiction (AHJ). You will gain essential knowledge and skills in methods to construct the PV array, support structures and install both DC and AC wiring and equipment. You will learn how to conduct an insulation integrity test for DC or AC wiring and equipment and which OSHA requirements apply to the project. You will have many opportunities to apply your week-long experience to real world installation activities. You will also acquire the skills and knowledge to complete the project including needed inspections and evaluations, proper signing and labeling, system testing, calibration and verification of system performance.
Vital to any successful PV installation is a thorough understanding of how the National Electrical Code (NEC), in particular Article 690, applies to it. You will gain understanding in how to determine the requirements that apply to your PV installation as well as other requirements.
Finally, no installation project ends without training the customer in how to operate their new PV system. You learn how to approach dealing with the customer at the end of the installation and gain their satisfaction with your work.
Note: This course does not cover how to design a PV system. The topics of optimization and troubleshooting will only be covered in so far as they pertain to a PV system installation. In addition, please note that completion of this course does not certify an individual as a PV System Installer. To become a Certified PV System Installer you must register for and pass the PV Installer Certification exam. This course is designed for individuals working in electrical occupations but with little or no experience in PV equipment or installations.
- Construct a PV array
- Install DC wiring and equipment as it pertains to a PV installation
- Install AC wiring and equipment as it pertains to a PV installation
- Complete a PV system installation project
- Commission the PV system and close-out the project
- Comprehend and use common solar energy and PV system terms and concepts
Synopsis of topics and activities
- Organize a PV installation
- Review project documents including array placement and electrical diagrams
- Analyze electrode system and electrical service
- Analyze PV system specifications for inverter and panels
- Analyze racking specifications
- Calculate maximum PV system voltage
- Calculate circuit sizing and current
- Constructing the PV Array
- Plan the PV array
- Layout the PV array support structure
- Attach the array support structure
- Install PV panels
- String PV panels
- Install DC Wiring and Equipment
- Mount DC equipment
- Install DC conduit
- Wire DC equipment
- Install AC Wiring and Equipment
- Mount AC equipment
- Install AC conduit
- Wire AC equipment
- Commission PV System
- Test PV System
- Build customer documentation package
- Conduct customer training